Cary, NC – This question comes from Ellen B. in Boston. This is a common problem about cracking and dry cuticles. But one that’s easy to fix!
“Dear Dr. Peter,
I have always had dry cuticles that sometimes crack and bleed. I always end up picking at them until they bleed more and make my fingers look unattractive. Do cuticle creams really work? What are the best ingredients to look for?
Thank You, Ellen B.”
First lets talk about what your cuticle does for you. The cuticle is that tiny rim of near-transparent tissue that peaks out from underneath your skin, covering part of your nails. They serve as barriers to protect nails from infection.
Damaged cuticles may occur when your fingernail cuticles dry out from hand washing, cold dry temperatures, diet or even medications. This causes them to peel and crack. You can also damage your cuticles if you cut them too closely with nail scissors, especially if the scissors are not sterilized properly.
Not only are damaged cuticles not “pretty” and sometimes painful, they make your nail-beds susceptible to fungal and bacterial infections. Regular moisturizing lotions will not help much because they are not hydrating enough to heal damaged cuticles and will not fight off damaging bacteria.
To treat dry and cracked cuticles look for creams or oils made specifically for cuticles. Common ingredients to look for is Vitamin E, Sweet Almond Oil, and Jojoba Seed Oil.
- Vitamin E oil is a powerful antioxidant that helps repair and strengthen nails. It’s also a natural moisturizer that helps heal cuticles by relieving their dryness.
- Sweet Almond Oil is naturally rich in essential nutrients, healing vitamins and nourishing moisturizer. It can help heal and rejuvenate dry cuticles.
- Jojoba Seed Oil is nature’s most effective moisturizer for skin, hair and nails. Jojoba oil helps prevent your cuticles from drying out and promotes new cell growth.
JustNeem’s Cuticle Care Pen uses those ingredients plus Mango Seed Butter, Sunflower Oil and our signature African Neem.
- Mango Seed Butter has beneficial moisturizing properties, and has wound healing ability.
- Sunflower Oil contains an extremely high amount of vitamin E which is crucial in the prevention of damage to sensitive skin areas.
- Neem holds molecules that have potent anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. It protects the nail-beds and heals skin infections. It’s anti-fungal properties fight nail fungus, while the antibacterial abilities kill germs and bacteria. It is also high in Vitamin E and will sooth dry, cracked damaged cuticles.
Apply this cuticle oil several times a day. You will begin to notice a difference in just a few days.
Let me know how the Cuticle Care Pen worked for you.
Sincerely, Dr. Peter
Send Peter your questions about Neem and skin care here: email@example.com , Subject: Ask Peter