Cary, NC – There’s nothing better than getting a professional facial. To keep skin looking it’s very best, esthetician’s recommend one every week or two. But, they can be expensive!
To maintain your healthy skin between professional treatments or to do them yourself, try this basic at home facial once a week. This basic facial works on oily, dry and combination skin.
At Home Facial Step-By-Step
1. Cleanse your skin – First remove eye makeup with a makeup remover. For an all natural DIY eye makeup remover, try olive oil or coconut oil and wipe it on and off with a cotton pad.
Next wash your face, neck and ears with a good facial cleanser to remove any grime or dirt. I recommend our Neem Soaps. Our best natural facial bars are Green Tea, Coconut, Lavender, or Rosemary Eucalyptus (all contain Neem – wonderful for gently removing bacteria on skin).
2. Exfoliate – As we age, cell turnover slows down and dead skin cells can give us a dull complexion. Exfoliating your face weekly helps get rid of the dead top layers of skin. This allows moisturizers and serums to better penetrate the skin and helps your foundation glide on smoothly.
Using your fingers, rub a gentle exfoliating facial scrub in a circular motion on your face. Concentrate on the areas that tend to be greasy. Rinse your face well. For a wonderful natural exfoliater make your own sugar scrub. Mix a few drops of our Neem Cure with white sugar, simple!
3. Steam - There are several ways to steam your face. I like to fill my sink with hot water, dip a washcloth in and press it to my face. When it gets cool, I repeat 1 or 2 more times. Another great way to steam your face is by boiling water on the stove, then turning off the burner and putting your head over the water with a towel over your head, letting the steam seep into pores for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Apply Facial Mask - You could become a kitchen beautician and make your own mask using items like egg whites, oatmeal or yogurt, but I would rather eat them than wear them! We have a wonderful Neem Clay Mask that is gentle and perfect for all skin types.
The all natural mask is a blend of deeply cleansing French clay, healing Neem leaves, and hydrating oils, that draw out impurities and promotes clear and healthy skin. Leave the mask on for 10 to 20 minutes and then rinse.
5. Toner - A facial toner will help to balance the pH level of your skin. Having a balanced pH level means your skin is less prone to oiliness and infection, creating a more vibrant and smoother appearance. For a natural toner use rose water or cool green tea on a cotton pad. Wipe the pad in an upward motion on the skin.
6. Moisturize - Use your favorite facial moisturizer and smooth it over your face and neck until absorbed. In the daytime, use one with SPF. At night I use a moisturizer with Retinol (topical vitamin A).
Treat yourself and your skin each week with this at home facial. You’ll notice a big difference in how your skin feels and looks. Please let me know how it works for you!