Many of us love to stay outside for hours in the Summer sun for barbeques, picnics, swimming and sprinkler play, but do you ever consider the negative effects the sun has on your skin? Ultraviolet or UV rays are one form of energy from the sun that is the catalyst for sunburns. While you bask in the sun, the UV rays penetrate into the deep layers of your skin and cause damage to DNA cells, which result in a sunburn.
Did you know? A sunburn is the skin’s defensive response to UV exposure.
What happens to my skin when getting sunburn?
In essence, your skin goes into protection mode and quickly attempts to repair the damaged skin cells, but all we see is red, tight, peeling and tan skin.
- Redness comes from dilating blood vessels and the skin’s inflammation as it readies to repair damage.
- Tight skin comes from moisture loss.
- Peeling skin comes from the skin’s attempt to remove damaged skin layers that can cause skin cancer.
- Skin tans or changes color because melanin or pigment is produced to try and stop the UV rays from further penetration and more intense skin damage.
- In worst cases, UV damage leads to premature aging skin and skin cancer.
Relieve your sunburn with Neem!
Neem is a tree with an incredible variety of beneficial properties. Every part of the tree contains some level of active compounds, which have been found to be useful in organic and natural cosmetics, medicine and agriculture. The Neem tree originates from India and is part of the culture’s traditional Ayurvedic medicine.
We at JustNeem use African Neem harvested from our Neem Tree Orchard in Maurtania, Africa- and there is a reason for that. African Neem is known for its high concentrations of active ingredients that exert Neem’s healing and protective properties. We then put Neem in all our body care products! Click here for more information on Neem.
Why use Neem for my sunburn?
- Antibacterial- it destroys the growth of bacteria.
- Antiseptic- it keeps secondary skin infections at bay.
Anti-inflammatory- it reduces redness and tenderness of your sunburn.
- Reduces your itchy, irritated skin that is associated with sunburns.
- Hydrates your dry, cracked and tight skin because Neem is an excellent emollient. Emollients are substances that fill the gaps and cracks in the skin that prevent moisture loss and restore the protective barrier.
- High in important fatty acids and Vitamin E which are powerful healing agents. Together they rejuvenate the skin’s cells and restore elasticity. When used regularly, Neem works wonders for smoothing wrinkles and fine lines while preventing signs of aging.
- Extremely effective in healing dry and damaged skin.
What products should I use for my sunburn?
Neem Cure Oil- Neem contains anti-inflammatory and aspirin-like substances that can help reduce the pain and swelling associated with sunburn and rid the skin of bacteria.
Neem Lotion- Try our Neem Lotion for superb sunburn repair. My favorite is African Gem because I am partial to the warm vanilla, spicy musk and sandalwood notes. But Fragrance Free, Wind & Sea and Green Tea are other excellent options to moisturize parched skin, reduce itching associated with sun burns, and heal damage down in the deep layers of skin.
Neem Lip Balm- If you have sunburn or sun-blisters on your lips, use Neem Lip Gleem to help reduce the swelling and pain.
Post-sunburn, your best bet is to moisturize, hydrate, and wait for your body to heal UV damage. Once you have applied your skin care remedy, stay inside! Allowing your skin and body time to heal is paramount. If you expose yourself to the sun before your sunburn has healed, you are more likely to further damage skin cell DNA which can lead to skin cancer and premature aging. So, grab a good book, some board games and a great movie and give your body a break. The sun will always be there another day!